Thursday 16 April 2020

Corona Virus diary Week 4

Well we are into week four and they think the number of people infected is flattening out.  Trump is being as crass as usual in America they have 30000 dead and he wants to open the country's economy as soon as possible as so do we but differently we are aware of safety.

One thing I am proud about in Britain is the joint effort made to design an alternative method of ventilator for people suffering from the virus and then to put that design out into the world for free.  This confirms what I have always thought of the British is their creative inventiveness in a time of crisis.

A hundred year old veteran Tom  Moore  has raised millions for NHS charity partly due to the air time given him by the BBC and social media. However this is what can  be done with a good idea and good publicity,

I am starting to feel institutionalized in my own home.  the highlight is to go to the food shopping once a fortnight. \I am putting on weight when one of the things I am doing is cooking a lot, keeping the calories down is a struggle. Keeping the excersise up is also a struggle.

I am tempted to laze around, the garden is lovely and the weather tempts us to sit under the trees in the shade enjoying the vista of our garden.  One of the things we found when food shopping is some plants at Sainsbury's.  We have planted some wegelia and hollyhocks and have changed around some difficult plants and replanted daisies instead if it works there should be a show in summer.

I am trying to get to grips with Zoom and have nearly mastered it. We will see next week. I think Zoom will be very useful for workers in the future but does altogether replace meeting people.  We have a routine now that on Sunday afternoons in the close of eight houses, we all sit out on our own drives with chairs and table and a glass of something and talk to one another. People come down walking to get exercise and we all obey the social distancing rules apart from our trouble maker next door.  They had a raucous family and friends party on Easter Sunday in the rear garden people arrived in cars and went in, and we were united in disapproving of him. But for me I really look forward to this Sunday afternoon, it has replaced church social.  I watched Bristol Unitarian Easter Sunday service and it was lovely and moving and I appreciated but for community I love these Sunday afternoons.

In these troubled times we dont know what the future brings and at the back of our minds there is always the fear that I or John might get the virus or one of our family.  Each week we meet up on Zoom and catch up with their difficulties.  Pray God we survive this.


No comments:

Post a Comment